Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Row, row, row your boat





"There was an earth shake in the White Sea!"

That's what a few of us were told by a shop keep as to why there has been no internet in Egypt.....though no one was quite sure what it meant. Possibly an Earthquake in the Red Sea...but by all accounts it was the Mediterranean and now it seems that 2 fiber optic cables have been broken with no real ETA on when they are going to be fixed. Soon Insha Allah! But after all, this is Egypt....luckily I was able to find a decent connection today - and that means it's like 1995 AOL dailup.

I feel like I've been here for months though it's only been a fortnight. School is awesome - tough teachers, small classes, beautiful people. I sometimes feel like I'm back in junior high. Kids come just to hang out on the "Plat" - an elevated patio and steps in the center of the Greek Campus where everyone looks like they're at NY fashion week. It's a strange dichotomy walking in off the street full of trash and poverty, buses and taxis and then seeing the Mercedes', Hummers, BMWs and Porches strategically parked in front of the buildings and their drivers in full Italian labels flaunting themselves inside. Definitely the "cream" of Egypt. But in actuality I've made some very good friends, but mostly internationals as out of place as myself.

I've been exploring: sightseeing and getting involved. This morning I joined crew and ran the 3 miles to the club and back with friend/teammates. 3 days a week at 6am is a little daunting but watching the sunrise over the mist of the Nile was incredible and to know that I get to do it 3 days a week is beyond incredible. I just hope to never fall into the river. That makes me a little nervous of death and disease.

I also took a moonlight horseback trip in the desert the other night. Went with a big group and we circled out into the desert and then came up on a precipice over looking the Pyramids to have a bonfire. That was ridiculous. One the way back we rode through Giza and watched children playing in the street, making fires and racing horses. It was a nice insight into what life is like outside of the downtown and international areas.

This weekend might include a day trip to Alexandria...and clearly lots of studying.....

Go Obama!

1 comment:

polina said...

the contrasts you describe remind me a lot of Moscow, and its "nouveau riches" next to regular, mortal people
can't wait to see more pictures wink wink