Monday, January 28, 2008

The Unexpected Egypt

Every time I walk through the door of the apartment I'm amazed. The place itself is beautiful, but the view 19 floors above the Nile is breathtaking. It's an oasis from the noise and pollution of the streets - streets I'm now getting used to: learning the best cheap falafels, learning the art of dodging traffic as I walk down the middle of them, learning to avoid cats, mud and garbage, and creating my mental map of the city I now call home. The most astounding part of the mountain is daily watching the sunset behind the pyramids at Giza and behind the smog.


Nate, Arthur and I explored the Pyramids a few days ago. We went at sunset when the area was closing and sat atop peaks just taking in the view. Next time we'll go inside, but just being on the sand dunes high above Cairo was breathtaking and something I'll always keep with me.

Cairo is dirtier than I imagined, but it's also more fantastic than I ever could have dreamed. And I love the Egyptians for their love of bad 80s and 90s love ballads. Everything from Phil Collins to Mandy Moore - it never gets old.

School starts in a few days, but every day has been an excitement - even just shopping and cooking is a little bit more exciting in Cairo.

And the cats. EVERYWHERE there are cats. One even snuck into the apartment. Twice. It's pregnant and was trying to find a nice suitcase in which to have it's babies. She's actually not as sick and mangy as most of the cats, but we've learned to keep the screens shut. She watches us eat dinner sometimes....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a great into to your life in Egypt I can't wait to see what else happens. I hope the cat doesn't surprise you with babies on your door step.

Anonymous said...

God, I wish I was there. I think I've gotten all I can out of America. I think you should keep the cat. Name it Isa. Or Jose after the cat that my mom had that hated everyone but her.

polina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
polina said...

I say keep the cat, with the kittens! :) the more, the merrier :))

-polina

b said...

The cat got in again last night! It was really windy - I mean we thought the windows were going to explode windy - and the door to the balcony was blown open. Nate found her chillin in the middle of the bed. Happy and warm. When she saw him she freaked and ran out the door. We think the people before us (American couple that lived there from sept-dec) must have let her in and taken care of her.

Maybe we'll keep a kitten or two. I just would hate to have them end up on the street like the others.

Bob Barker would not like Cairo.